Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Saludos de Iquitos, Peru

Hola amigos y amigas,
My name is Carlos Tanner and I have decided to record my experiences as a curandero's apprentice on this blog. I have been studying with a healer from the Amazon Rainforest of Peru for over two years, and we have put together a healing retreat program for those in need of healing and for those interested in learning the science of plant spirit medicine. You can check out our website at http://www.ayahuayra.org/ for more information on our retreat programs in the Amazon Rainforest of Peru.


I live with my teacher, whose name is don Juan, in his house near the airport in Iquitos, Peru. We also spend time out at our jungle camp, which is a two hour hike into the rainforest from the nearest village.
My teacher holds ayahuasca ceremonies at his house every tuesday and saturday. He treats every affliction there is, from Cancer and AIDS to depression and bad luck. He deals with demonic possession, curses and spells, and spiritual afflictions that are unknown to western culture. He is a therapist for couples, a counselor for families, a guide for wandering souls, and a teacher and advisor to students. When he is not holding ayahuasca ceremonies, he still recieves patients throughout the day. For this he treats them using mapachos, tobacco cigarettes from the Amazon. If the affliction is serious in nature or difficult to diagnose, then don Juan will ask the patient to come back and drink ayahuasca in the next ceremony.

It is truly an honor to live and study with don Juan, and it is with great joy in my heart that I call him my friend. I am truly blessed. I would like to share this blessing with my fellow spirit seekers, the growing subculture of people who are willing to cross paradigms and live in a separate reality, the reality of the spirit. This is the world of curanderismo.

I will be putting posts up on this blog after every ceremony, describing my experiences and hopefully demonstrating important aspects of curanderismo at the same time. It is my hope and dream that our civilization return to the wisdom of the spirit, for this wisdom can be the guiding force that leads to our salvation. My teacher, don Juan, and I have put together a six-week educational program that takes place twice a year, and I am in the process of organizing a 9-day intensive seminar that will take place each spring.

If you would like more information on the work that we're doing down here, please visit our website: http://www.ayahuayra.org/

No comments: